Randy Mayor; Melanie J. Clarke
Sirloin or flank steak will work–just slice thinly and cook briefly so it stays tender. Total time: 30 minutes.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups beef mixture and 3/4 cup rice)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (1-pound) sirloin steak, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup (1/4-inch-thick) diagonally cut slices carrot
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 cups snow peas, trimmed
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
Combine first 3 ingredients in a bowl, stirring well; sprinkle evenly over steak. Combine cornstarch, sugar, and red pepper in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Stir in broth and soy sauce.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrot to pan; stir-fry 2 minutes. Add steak and broccoli; stir-fry 1 minute. Stir in broth mixture; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add snow peas; cook 30 seconds or until desired degree of doneness. Serve with rice.
- 323 (30% from fat)
- 10.8g (sat 3.3g,mono 4.5g,poly 1.3g)