I hope you continue to cook healthily now that you understand how little salt you need to make things taste good. Got it? Okay: Moving on! So remember that low-fat craze from about 10-13 years ago? It was fat-free this and fat-free that everywhere you looked. Well, it turns out that, like carbs, not all fats are created equal. While a high fat diet contributes to weight-gain, saturated fat is what we should watch out for in heart disease prevention. We NEED some fat in our diets to maintain cellular integrity, for organ function, to absorb some vitamins and to give us that supple glow to our skin and hair that says we’re healthy. That’s all well and good but one place we don’t care to see our fat is around our waists or on our hips, can I get an amen? Our fat busting shopping list will include:
- High fiber vegetables like broccoli, kale, spinach, celery, and legumes beans ( remember these)
- High fiber fruit like pears, apples, and citrus fruit
- High fiber grains like brown rice, barley, oatmeal and bran
- Low-fat/skim milk
- Omega-3s found in salmon, tuna, shrimp, fortified eggs, and nuts like walnuts, almonds and flaxseeds
- Lean meats and or firm tofu
You will also need a 6-9″ DINNER PLATE to serve your daily meals on!!